I found this recipe in my grandmother, Honey’s, recipe box. I have tried many onion ring recipes and just haven’t been satisfied. All this time this recipe has been sitting right here for me to use and I’ve over looked it. These got a big thumbs up from everyone. This recipe will be a keeper for sure! I loved that they were crunchy and seasoned just right. I felt like I had just ordered me some deep fried goodness.
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled/sliced 1/4 inch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- oil, for frying (I used canola)
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Peel and slice onions into 1/4 inch slices and separate rings.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small sized bowl, combine egg and buttermilk; beat well.
- Dip onion rings into flour mixture , then into egg mixture, and back into flour mixture. Fry rings in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dip in your favorite dipping sauces. Ranch, ketchup, BBQ ranch, salsa ranch, honey mustard, etc.