It’s no secret I feed a starting five every night – and their coach. This recipe feeds 10-12 generously. But in this house that means it feeds 7 – with left overs that disappear the very next day. Here is one of our absolute favorite Chinese side dishes. I’ve altered it through the years by adding different veggies here and there & hoisin sauce – but this is the way they like it.
- 2 lbs. Chinese style noodles (we use Marco Polo brand) or use spaghetti noodles.
- 1 small head cabbage, sliced approx. 3 cups
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered, sliced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons peanut oil
- Boil noodles, drain off water. (I cook mine al dente.) In a large wok or electric fryer, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat, toss cabbage, celery, garlic and onion. Cook until onions are translucent, tossing frequently. Add drained, cooked noodles to wok, toss. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger. Pour sauce over noodles, continue cooking and tossing until noodles are covered with sauce. Serve